Join 107.9 KBPI & Vitalant at 4695 South Monaco St on Friday, February 8th to donate blood in the Vitalant Mobile Donation Center. Everyone who donates can also enter to win a pair of tickets to Shinedown on March 20th at the Budwieser Event Center.
- The simple act of giving blood could have a monumental impact on up to three people in need of a blood transfusion. Every drop is vital for a patient in need.
- Donations drop during the winter months. Cold and snowy weather can lead to the cancellation of blood drives, donors can come down with colds and flu and not be eligible to donate, yet the need for donated blood remains constant.
- It’s the blood already on the shelf that helps in an emergency. That’s why it’s crucial to maintain a safe and ready supply at all times. It takes about 24 to 36 hours to process, type, test and distribute donated blood before it can be given to patients.
- While ALL blood types are needed, there’s always an elevated need for type O blood. Type O blood is often used for premature infants and trauma patients – when there’s not time to test the patient’s blood type.
- Nearly 60 percent of blood donations come from donors over age 40. Younger donors are not giving at nearly the same pace. The minimum age to donate is 16 with parental consent.
- The entire country’s transfusable blood supply depends solely on volunteer donors. Blood donation saves 12,000 lives every day across the country.
- Be a part of something bigger than yourself. Transform someone’s life…and your own!